In exactly one week, I will be on my way to BEA in NYC! And how am I preparing?
Well first off, with a healthy dose of nerves and panic. I’m in the midst of planning my wedding and I really shouldn’t be going to any cons, but I swore I’d go to BEA this year and I wasn’t backing down from that! Besides, it’s too late to cancel now muahaha! Is it wise to jet off for nearly a week to the Big Apple less than three months before the biggest day (so far) of my life? Probably not. So to prepare myself, I’ve done or am doing the following things:
- Packing snacks like granola bars – I am a cheap little snot, and I already balk at DC prices for things and I’ve been living here for eight years. NYC prices will probably kill me. But please, I prefer the term “frugal” in person. No lie, I may also bring the ingredients to make a lot of PB&Js. I’ll be THAT girl.
- Buying a portable cell phone charger – you know the kind you carry in your purse that can charge your phone two or three times before it needs to be recharged itself? I think it was fellow YADC member Hannah from the Irish Banana who told me I needed one of those because Javitz and the BEA app sucks your battery life fast. *browses over to bestbuy.com*
- Packing nothing but Toms flats – these are the most comfortable stylish shoes ever. I walked RT in them last year and I still have that pair. I may bring a single pair of cute flat sandals for any parties I get to attend, too.
- Purchased a new camera battery charger – I left my charger in Kansas City last year while there for RT, so I just recently got around to buying a replacement so I can use my DSLR to take nice pictures! Photography will probably keep me entertained while waiting in line.
- Downloaded the BEA app – so I can keep track of all the signings I added to the calendar!
- Getting there early – like Tuesday-early. I am the Worst East-Coaster Of All Time. I’ve lived (and was born) on the Right Coast a total of 31 years (I’m 34), but I’ve never been to NYC, despite only living a mere few hours drive away. Getting there early will let me get acclimated to the City That Never Sleeps and maybe do a couple of touristy things, too.
- Bringing an empty suitcase – thanks to the wisdom of many other bloggers, I will be packing light and bringing a spare!
- Ordered new business cards – I’ve moved since the last batch, and while everyone pretty much has my new address, I still wanted new cards!
So are you going to BEA and if so, how are you preparing?